CMS OpenCart (Opencart) was first released in August 2012, and for the last five years has become one of the leaders in the online store market in the CIS countries. So it’s the best time to check out this OpenCart review.
Pros and cons of OpenCart
OpenCart gained tremendous popularity due to its simplicity, functionality, and speed. In addition to stylish design, the necessary minimum functions (sliders, payment and delivery modules, categories and filters), CMS offers many exciting features.
OpenCart allows you to easily create multi-lingual shops, with a deep customization of characteristics and product names in different languages. This can be very convenient if you want to trade from one site to different countries.
The other thing that needs to be mentioned in our OpenCart review is a system of own reports, which can be customized and filtered. As it should be, there is a dashboard (that no one is surprised), which opens when you enter the admin area of the site. It presents all the necessary data about the store, sales, and activity of customers.
The undoubted advantage voiced in OpenCart review from EcommerceSpot is the simplicity of store management. At the initial stage, you do not need to hire a professional to run your store. But in the future, to add new features, simplify the process of ordering or make some changes to the work of the warehouse - you need to contact programmers or understand the finer points of PHP and MySQL. Another plus - backup databases can be done directly from the site’s admin area.
Despite all the advantages, we cannot avoid disadvantages in our OpenCart review. Anyone who worked with an enumerator will say that the biggest problem is duplicate pages. The same page can have different URLs. This is a significant drawback for both the user and the SEO specialist.
Installing modules and add-ons is not a complicated procedure in itself, but the difficulties begin when modules, plug-ins, add-ons or extensions start to conflict with each other.
Lack of standard imports of goods. This is a significant disadvantage that needs to be mentioned in our OpenCart review. It can be solved by installing the appropriate plug-in. But at the same time, all the plug-ins that I met work according to the following principle: adds products directly to MySQL, often replacing the goods already there. Proceeding from this, it is impossible to add ten new ones to the existing 100 products. At the output, you get only ten new products, removing 100 old ones. Agree, this is not very convenient. But again, all this can be corrected and implemented in a normal way. The question is only in price.
The order form is also a minus and we put it in our OpenCart review. Simply, without modifying system files, installing additional modules or plug-ins, you can not simplify the purchase process.
Requirements for hosting Opencart
To date, OpenCart is one of the easiest platforms to install. If you’re reading this OpenCart review you want to discover its requirements.
Solutions simpler, perhaps, will be VirtueMart and WooCommerce, since they are just additions to the CMS. To install CMS Opencart on a web server, you will need:
- MySQL database
- PHP version 5.3 or higher
- PHP extensions (the ability to enable or disable some of them on the server). One of these is Curl.
- PHP memory_limit. The site will work on 64MB (with a small number of visitors and the volume of goods is not more than 1000), for standard robots you need at least 128MB of RAM.
SEO optimization OpenCart (OpenCart)
In our OpenCart review we cannot forget about SEO. The site lends itself to optimization. In this case, there are a lot of technical issues that are embedded in the engine itself, and without editing the service files, it is impossible.
The main page will be available at two addresses, one of which will be considered the second double.
The engine of the site provides for CNC (human-intelligible URL), which in itself is a plus. But at the same time, their use generates, even more, duplicates of goods, categories, and pages. You need to fine-tune the URL’s retirements so that everything works extremely well. Otherwise, the page address can have the following form:
Another thing that needs to be quoted in OpenCart review is its drawback - changing the language is a frequent POST request, and without making changes to the store, only the pages in the primary language will be indexed.
If the store has more than 30,000 products, you need to optimize the database requests, because the speed of the store will slow down significantly.
Free Templates and OpenCart Modules
We cannot avoid to mention in OpenCart review a huge number of free templates and themes for the store. To choose is from what. The same applies to various kinds of modules and plug-ins. To implement the same task, you can find both paid and free modules.
The community at the engine is more than solid; there are many examples and forums where you can find like-minded people who may have the same problems or problems.
Templates for Opencart
Also, it will not be difficult to find paid templates or modules on the Internet that someone bought and shared. To use such a “gift” or not is your business. But you need to consider that you not only violate copyrights but also install on the site code from an unreliable source.
A good engine for an online store. Apart from all the disadvantages and advantages, OpenCart can create a good online store. Demo version of the store with a standard theme can be found here.
Needless to be specified in OpenCart review that the latest version of the OpenCart can be loaded from the official website.
The necessary minimum for the launch of the store is because for a start there will be enough standard functionality and small technical edits. If you run more serious projects, with a grand scale of 50000+ goods, the original cards should first be handed over to specialists or used by other CMS.
Highlights for Opencart review
- Small entry threshold. To start using this CMS, you do not need a significant investment. Standard hosting and the availability of a domain - all that is required to start.
- A huge number of themes and ready-made solutions (modules, plug-ins, extensions). Regardless of the product, you will not have problems with finding the right design or functionality.
- It is easy to install and use the system. It is possible to change the design or add the necessary functions quickly. You do not need to be a programmer for this.
- Thousands of additional themes and extensions can strengthen your store. Some themes and add-ons are free, which is important for beginning entrepreneurs. Support multi-store (several shops can be managed from one admin area).
- Can be slow, even very slow. CMS Opencart is not intended for a large number of products. To shop regularly worked for several tens of thousands of commodity items, you need to work hard with it.
- Each new release of Opencart repeats the same defects regarding SEO. They wander from version 1.5 to version 2.2, and it’s possible that in Opencart 3.0 when it comes out, there will also be a lot of flaws with SEO.
- New versions continue to improve, and this is very important. If the system develops - it has a future and potential.